New Recruiting and Referral Incentive
In the 2021-2022 school year, the District provided bonuses for certified 6-12 Science and Math Teachers, Exceptional Children’s Teachers, Health Occupations Teachers, and other healthcare areas. For the 2022-2023 school year, the Board approved recruitment bonuses for certain certified and classified high needs areas as highlighted below.
Recruiting Incentive Plan
As of 6/1/22, there are 36 Certified Vacancies and 12 Teacher Assistant positions.
For Certified vacancies, recruitment bonuses will be provided for candidates who, at the time of hire, are fully licensed in the designated areas of licensure and/or assignment. Teachers hired after the beginning of the school year will receive a pro-rata share. Teachers holding a provisional license or a residency (formerly lateral entry) license are not eligible to receive the recruitment bonus. Past employees would not be eligible. The approved incentives are as follows:
- Certified Hires:
- All new hires that are fully licensed in the area that they teach and hired prior to 10/31/2022, will receive $2000 in the pay period following the one in which they are hired, and must be licensed in that area.
- If the employee is employed in the 2023-2024 school year, they will receive an additional $1000 within the first 60 days of the 2023-2024 school year.
- CTE new hires are eligible based on eligibility to hire requirements.
- Teacher Assistants
- All new Teacher Assistant hires that meet one of the first two bullets and meet the last bullet requirements, will receive $500 no later than 1/31/2023 and an additional $250 in May of 2023.
- Must either have two years of study, which is 48 semester hours, at an Institution of Higher Education or have an associate’s degree from a higher education institution.
- The federal legislation also allows the States to develop a rigorous assessment that may meet the employment criteria.
- Obtain CDL to drive a school bus by 12/10/22.
- Qualifying candidates must be PCS new hires and recommended for hire prior to 10/31/2022.
- The candidate must not have worked in PCS within the one year of the effective date of hire.
- Recruitment bonuses are subject to State, Federal, and IRS tax guidelines.
- Bonuses will be prorated based on hire date. After six months in any given year, the candidate will only be eligible for a reduced recruitment bonus amount.
- Candidates accepting a recruitment bonus will be required to sign an agreement to serve in PCS for at least three years. Early termination of this agreement may result in the employee’s repayment of the bonus on a pro-rated basis.
Referral Incentive Plan
Employees are eligible to receive a referral bonus of $250 if the referred candidate is hired and remains with the district for 6 months or longer with satisfactory job performance. Employees can receive a $250 bonus per referral.
Employees must refer candidates to Human Resources through the employee referral program link online or by using the attached candidate referral form.
- To be eligible for the Referral Incentive, an employee must submit a referral to Human Resources with a candidate referral form prior to the candidate being offered a position.
- Person County Schools full-time and permanent part-time employees, except employees at the Senior Cabinet level and supervisors with hiring authority over the referred candidates, are eligible for the referral bonus.
- The referral date cannot be earlier than the date the job opening is posted. The hiring of a referred employee must occur within 180 days (six months) of the initial referral date.
- Temporary, summer, contract and former employees of Person County Schools are not eligible candidates for referral awards.
- The referring employee must agree to have his or her name used when the district contacts the candidate.
- The first employee to refer a candidate will be the only referring employee eligible for the incentive.
- Only candidates who meet the essential qualifications for the position will be considered.
- All candidates will be evaluated for employment consistent with PCS policies and procedures.
- The referring employee must be employed by Person County Schools to receive payment of the referral bonus.
- Any disputes or interpretations of this employee referral program will be handled through Human Resources.
All referral bonus payments will be paid after the referred employee's 120th day of satisfactory employment with PCS.