Inclement Weather Plan and Procedures
WHO IS WATCHING THE WEATHER?
The superintendent and administrative staff carefully watch the weather conditions during seasons of possible inclement weather.
WHERE DO THEY GET THEIR INFORMATION?
Our school district staff listens to the weather forecasts. The director of transportation tests the road conditions on our bus routes beginning at 3:30-4 a.m. We also contact the local law enforcement about road conditions. We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous bus routes in the district. So, even if it looks clear on your street, dangerous conditions may exist in other parts of our district.
WHAT FACTORS ARE CONSIDERED WHEN MAKING THE DECISION TO CLOSE SCHOOL?
The safety of all Person County children is our primary concern in making our decision. In deciding whether children will be safe, we look at the following factors:
- Information on road conditions from the director of transportation and from law enforcement, including whether roads are icy, flooded, or impassable;
- Time that precipitation begins to accumulate and the amount;
- Weather predictions;
- Building conditions (e.g., whether schools have power and heat);
- Parking lot conditions;
- Temperature and wind-chill.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The superintendent of schools is responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors and recommendations from the district staff.
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
The decision is made by 5:30 a.m. (except in the situations when inclement weather may force school closings during the school day) so that radio and TV stations can be notified.
In the event of inclement weather, one of the following announcements will be made:
CLOSED - Schools will be closed. An announcement will indicate whether schools will be closed for staff and students or students only.
EARLY RELEASE - Schools will operate, however, they will close early. All after-school activities, including daycare, will be canceled.
- Elementary and high schools will release at 12:00 pm
- Middle schools will release at 12:20 pm.
DELAY - Schools will operate but on a delayed basis. In some situations, if a delay is called and weather conditions quickly become worse, the school could be canceled for the day. If so, the announcement to cancel school will be made before the delay period expires.
- When school is delayed 2-hours, daycare will open at 8:00 am and breakfast will NOT be served.
- When school is delayed 1-hour, daycare will open at _____ and breakfast will be served.
School closing announcements will be made through all the following avenues:
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter)
- Blackboard Connect (call, email)
- Website alert
- WRXO - 1420 AM (Local)
- WKRX - 96.7 FM (Local)
- WRSN - 93.0 FM
- WAKG - 103.3 FM (Danville, VA)
- WRAL - 101.5 FM (Raleigh)
- WRAL - 5
- WTVD -11
- WNCN - 17
- Local Cable - TV Roxboro 191
- WUVC TV Univision 40 - (Spanish Translation)
Announcements will be made as close to 5:30 am as possible, but no later than 6:30 am.
If no announcement is made, Person County Schools will operate on a regular schedule.
Do not telephone the weather bureau, radio or television stations, newspaper offices, school officials, or school offices. Calls to these offices will result in "clogged" lines and will hinder communication. Announcements will reach you via the channels above.