Person County Schools employs a wide variety of classified staff. Our Human Resource Services' office works with applicants seeking employment to explain qualifications for classified positions as well as with employed classified staff. All classified positions in our district require completion of high school, a GED and/or college credits).
Classified Personnel include:
- Teacher Assistants (must also obtain/maintain a school bus driver license)
- Administrative Assistants
- Maintenance staff
- Transportation staff
- Custodial staff (must also obtain/maintain a school bus driver license and drive when needed)
- School Nutrition staff (must also obtain/maintain a school bus driver license and drive when needed)
- Bus Drivers / Bus Monitors
REQUIREMENTS FOR TEACHER ASSISTANTS
What are the qualification requirements for Title I paraprofessionals/teacher assistants?
(1) All Title I paraprofessionals/ teacher assistants must have a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent.
(2) Additionally, except as noted below, paraprofessionals/ teacher assistants hired after January 8, 2002, and working in a program supported with Title I, Part A funds must have:
- Completed two years of study at an institution of higher education; (equivalent of 48 semester hours) or
- Obtained an associate’s (or higher) degree; or
- Met a rigorous standard of quality and be able to demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing, reading, writing, and mathematics (or, as appropriate, reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness).
Note: This option may be met through the WorkKeys Occupational Profile Assessment for Teacher Assistants.
Note: According to local guidelines, all EC Teacher Assistants in all schools must meet highly qualified standards as listed above. In addition, all teacher assistants that are not serving in Title I schools or in an EC capacity, must work toward meeting all requirements during the first year of employment.