New DES Rule regarding Notifying Employees of Unemployment
(1) Unemployment insurance benefits are available to workers who are unemployed and who meet the State's eligibility requirements.
(2) Employees may file a claim in the first week that employment stops, or work hours are reduced.
(3) Employees may file claims online at des.nc.gov or by telephone to (888) 737-0259.
(4) Employees must provide DES with the following information for DES to process the claim:
- full legal name;
- social security number; and
- authorization to work (if the employee is not a U.S. citizen or resident).
(5) Employees may contact DES at (888) 737-0259 and select the appropriate menu option for assistance.
Please note the following regarding unemployment claims:
- Employees are not eligible for unemployment benefits if they have been offered work either by reporting to work or teleworking
- Employees are not eligible for unemployment benefits if they are receiving paid State of Emergency Leave
- Employees that typically work over 40 hours a week because they are assigned two roles are not eligible for compensation past a 40 hour work week under unemployment benefits or paid State of Emergency Leave
For any questions, please contact Lori Stacey, firstname.lastname@example.org.